CHIL Interior Design is the Hospitality Interior Design studio of B+H Architects. CHIL is a boutique studio with a specialization and focus on luxury hotels and high-end multi-family residential design. We are one studio within B+H – a global, award-winning, full-service design firm recognized for excellence in sustainable design, technical expertise and the delivery of complex, large-scale projects. A legacy of over 60 years of design innovation and problem solving has endowed B+H with a depth of knowledge, skill and agility that benefits each client we serve, wherever they are in the world.
With dedicated CHIL Interior Design studios in Vancouver, Hong Kong and Toronto we bid and work on hospitality projects around the world. With B+H studios, we are represented in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Seattle, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City and Dubai.
We believe in the power of design to elevate people’s lives and we are committed to doing everything necessary to deliver environments that outperform our clients’ expectations, now and in the future.
Our Interiors Practice
With a history of over 45 years in hospitality design and more than 9 years as an important studio of the B+H practice, CHIL Interior Design has been providing high-quality design for our varied and prestigious clients.
A thriving standalone business with projects independent and distinct from our architectural practice, CHIL has been established with 3 global hospitality interior design studios in Vancouver, Toronto and Hong Kong, where we lead the creative aspects of all hospitality interior design. We develop unparalleled luxury hospitality and restaurant spaces for brands including Accor, Shangri-La, Fairmont, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts. CHIL also creates leading edge residential design with projects built and in development in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, and Edmonton, as well as in Seattle, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
CHIL Interior Design, as a specialty service offering within B+H, focuses on creating unparalleled hospitality experiences. CHIL lends the experienced hand of a highly specialized studio to B+H’s global interior design team. Partnership and respect across our global teams allows CHIL to deliver the best of both worlds: the tailored, collaborative approach of a specialized hospitality interior design studio with the resources and expertise of full-service architecture and design firm.
Our Toronto studio is looking for a highly motivated Senior Design Leader to drive CHIL’s growth and expansion in Eastern Canada and to provide design leadership and oversight. This individual will have a passion for business development, staff management and creative hospitality design.
As the CHIL Design Director you will report directly to the global principals in Vancouver primarily focused and responsible for leading business development in Ontario, Quebec and eastern provinces of Canada. You will lead the design process as well as direct, train, and mentor other members of the CHIL interior design team. As an industry leader with a robust portfolio, including built, award-winning work, you will be pursuing new client relationships, new project opportunities and maintaining existing established relationships to help grow the CHIL Toronto studio.
This is a client-facing role and candidates are expected to have a well-rounded network with experience working with Hotel brands. A strong track record of leading the business development at previous firms as well as representing the hospitality function for integrated project work in the region.
- Support and develop new client and brand relationships under CHIL principals based in Vancouver
- Represent and develop CHIL brand locally with a focus on Ontario, and extending to Quebec and Maritimes
- Proactively build and maintain an external network of clients (brands and owners) and colleagues in the industry in the effort to identify, cultivate and capture business opportunities
- Work with Principals in Vancouver on fee proposals and staff work plans
- Meet with clients to analyze their goals, needs and resources
- Take the lead in managing multiple projects and a growing design team; delegate and assign tasks
- Create design concepts and oversee all design projects
- Ensure continued focus on delivering design excellence in all project work
- Provide studio leadership and build a team of designers based in our Toronto studio
- Attract, engage, develop and mentor design talent
- Work with Principals in Vancouver and management team in Toronto on project budgeting and profitability
- Oversee the design process, ensuring consistent and profitable results, maximizing team and system resources
- Manage projects successfully through to completion
- Degree in Interior Design (CIDA accredited) or registered with a local professional association
- Minimum 10 – 15 years of work experience in hospitality design
- Well-developed understanding of the design industry and client/hotel brands needs and goals
- A broad portfolio of work with major hotel brands and developers
- Experience in client and brand relationships
- A strong track record in identifying and pursuing new business leads
- Experience negotiating contracts and managing scope and client expectations
- Excellent leadership skills to attract, train and supervise senior, intermediate and junior designers
- Well-developed time management and project management skills required to undertake multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Software/Technology: working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, Presentation Software (Image Ready, Power Point or Photoshop)
- Ability and enthusiasm to travel as required and to work collaboratively with colleagues in all B+H studios
- Experience working internationally and with large multi-disciplinary projects would be an asset.
Ready to apply?
Submit your resume and portfolio through our website by clicking here.
For more information about our firm please visit www.CHILdesign.com
B+H is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and B+H’s Accommodation Policy, accommodations are available upon request for candidates throughout the selection process.