B+H is a global, award-winning, full service design firm recognized for excellence in sustainable design, technical expertise and the delivery of complex, large-scale projects. A legacy of over 60 years of design innovation and problem solving has endowed us with a depth of knowledge, skill and agility that benefits each client we serve, wherever they are in the world.
Working from studios in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Seattle, Los Angeles, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City and Dubai, we are creating the framework around which people live their lives. Our ability to span across scales and levels of complexity is evidenced by our large portfolio of work ranging from the planning of entire regions and cities through to the defining and shaping of public spaces, individual buildings and interiors – each requiring the coordination of talented multidisciplinary teams.
We are committed to delivering high-performance and sustainable communities, buildings and environments that exceed client expectations, contribute to human well-being and enhance the health of our planet. We believe in the power of design to elevate people’s lives and we are committed to doing everything necessary to deliver environments that outperform our clients’ expectations, now and in the future. For more information please visit www.bharchitects.com
Our Interiors Practice
For more than 40 years, interiors has been an important part of our firm’s practice, providing high-quality design services for our varied and prestigious clients.
A thriving standalone business with projects independent and distinct from our architectural practice has been established with 8 regional interiors studios in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Seattle, Los Angeles, Shanghai, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Additionally, our interiors practice supports projects that are integrated with large, complex architectural projects.
Our clients range from mid-size to large businesses in corporate workplace, with a recent focus on working with legal, energy and tech-sector clients. Healthcare, education, hospitality and sports sectors are also part of our integrated interiors practice.
Our teams of interior designers create environments that seamlessly integrate people, the environment, technology and the ultimate purpose of the space. We believe in a collaborative approach to design and encourage input from our clients throughout all stages of the project.
Reporting to the Principal, Interior Design, the Interior Designer is responsible for contributing to the design process. The Interior Designer also has supervisory responsibilities with respect to directing, training and mentoring junior designers and architectural technologists. The Calgary studio is growing and looking for a candidate who has both creative and technical skills, as well as establishing existing and new client relationships. Working closely with Calgary’s Senior Associate Edward Tsang, the Interior Designer will coordinate on local and global projects.
Project lead interior designer & client services
- With input from the Director and/or Principal, contribute to the interior design process and deliverables, establish project direction and work within project budgets and schedules
- Meet with clients to analyze their goals, needs and resources
- Accompany senior colleagues to client meetings, being an effective presenter and representative of the B+H team
- Under minimal supervision, work on multiple projects and a team of designers; delegate and assign tasks appropriately
- Work to a project fee and client budget
- Foster and cultivate good client relationships
- Mentor and train junior designers
Space planning and creative design
- Understand the requirements of the plans, life safety issues, building codes and other technical aspects; knowledgeable in the areas of design, drawing and details, finishes and building materials, specifications, codes, technical drawing, contract administration and business practices
- Provide world class conceptual design/enabling teams to continually strive for design excellence. Using knowledge of both current and future trends, deliver spaces that exceed client expectations.
- Coordinate the development of 2 and 3D design concepts, with emphasis on high quality renderings
- Research, gather, recommend and present to the team appropriate finishes and furnishings that capture the functional, aesthetic, environmental and budgetary requirements of the project, understanding how texture, light, colour and other factors interact to create an environment
Contract documentation and coordination
- Produce and manage projects and schedules, with a Project Manager as needed, according to project size
- Prepare and administer construction documents consisting of plans, elevations, details and specifications, to illustrate partition layouts; power and communications locations reflected ceiling and lighting plans; materials, products and finishes; and furniture selection, specifications and layouts in both AutoCAD and REVIT
- Administer contract documents, bids and negotiations as the client’s consultant; coordinate and collaborate with other design professionals who may be retained to provide consulting services, including but not limited to architects, structural, mechanical and electrical engineers and various specialty consultants
- Assist with permit tender applications as required
- Complete construction administration from tender through project close out
Business development and entrepreneurialism
- Understand the goals of the Calgary studio growth potential and “big picture” ideas
- Work with studio Principals and Senior Associate to establish existing and new client relationships, locally and globally
- Involvement on RFP and fee proposal development on new project opportunities
- A degree or diploma from a CIDA accredited Interior Design program
- 5+ years’ experience working with a recognized Interior Design or Architectural firm
- A solid portfolio of diverse creative projects with emphasis in Workplace, Hospitality and/or Healthcare design
- A membership with IDA (or other relevant regulatory body)
- Attained or in pursuit to receive your NCIDQ certification
- Sound knowledge of AutoCAD, REVIT, Windows (Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint) and a host of 3D graphic programs such as 3Ds Max, Sketch-up, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
- Technically savvy, able to learn and master new programs and apps
- Armed with excellent time management and organizational skills
- Positive attitude, passion and patience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
For more information please visit www.bharchitects.com
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Intermediate Interior Designer, Calgary” in the subject line.