CHIL Vancouver is looking for a highly motivated Intermediate Interior Designers to join our Interiors Practice focusing on hospitality design. As a CHIL Interior Designer you will be creative, the one who is driven by success, and embraces being part of a high performance, best-in-class team.
CHIL is looking for a strong team player able to work in fast-paced collaborative environment and interested in working for a diverse, multi-disciplinary, multi-sector, global reaching firm. The Interior Designers will be able to effectively interact and collaborate with a broad range of service providers (architects, engineers, contractors, suppliers, regulators, etc.).
You are an engaged, self-actualizing Project Designer, a very strong creative and possess genuine passion for design. You have 5 to 7 years of experience working in hospitality and multi family residential projects within a collaborative team structure, while fully self-reliant in executing the tasks assigned efficiently and creatively. You will be involved in every part of design, from preliminary vision, through concept development to project documentation and execution. You are expected to consult with Senior Designers and Principals on any design, technical, production, scope or client issues of which they become aware. Intermediate Designers are required to manage their project time, and meet the firm’s targets for time expenditure and billing for themselves and their project teams.
As a CHIL Intermediate Interior Designer, you will be responsible for:
- Work with the team to produce compelling and informative presentations that exceed visual expectations through a good knowledge of the Adobe Creative suite software.
- Ensure the work aligns with the design excellence standards set by the studio design.
- Accompany senior colleagues to client meetings, being an effective presenter and representative.
- Meet with clients to analyze their goals, needs and resources.
- Effectively coordinate with local suppliers, project consultants, client representatives, and team members to deliver project milestones.
- Provide space planning that accurately reflects the Program, functional requirements, and design considerations of the project, and meets all building code requirements.
- Lead development of 2 and 3D design concepts, with emphasis on high quality renderings.
- Support internal teams on a variety of projects to best service our other industry clients.
- Research, gather, recommend, and present to the team appropriate finishes and furnishings that capture the functional, aesthetic, environmental and budgetary requirements of the project, understanding how texture, light, colour and other factors interact to create an environment.
- Prepare documentation for the selection, specification, procurement and installation of furnishings and equipment, including detailed layout drawings and schedules.
- Produce Design Development & Contract Documents (plans, elevations, sections, details, and schedules) in AutoCAD.
- Knowledge and proficiency in REVIT is an asset.
- Manage project schedules, with a Project Manager as needed, according to project size.
- Understand the requirements of the plans, life safety issues, building codes and other technical aspects; knowledgeable in the areas of design, drawing and details, finishes and building materials, specifications, local codes, technical drawing, contract administration and business practices.
- Complete contract administration from tender through project close out with assistance from Project Manager and CA staff as required.
- Mentor and train Junior interior designers and technicians.
- Must meet deadlines and ensure accuracy of all work produced.
- Have an understanding of construction, materials and methods.
- Develop and nurture supplier relationships and foster progression of new and current materials.
- Other duties as required.
As a successful Interior Designer, you possess the following knowledge, experience, and skill set:
- A degree or diploma from a CIDA accredited Interior Design program.
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience with Hotel and Food & Beverage and /or multi unit residential interior design experience preferred.
- Attained your NCIDQ certification is preferred.
- Sound knowledge of AutoCAD, Windows (Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint) and a host of 3D graphic programs such as Sketch-up, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
- Previous professional experience using Revit is an asset.
- A solid portfolio of diverse creative projects with emphasis in Hospitality design with focus on hospitality, residential and F&B.
- Technically savvy, able to learn and master new programs and apps.
- Self-directed, able to work independently, and know when to reach out for guidance and support.
- Ready to receive and welcome coaching from supervisors and colleagues, assimilate feedback and learn quickly from it.
- Armed with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for the job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT B+H
People represent our most valued asset. By investing in our employees, we are also investing in the ongoing success of our company. We pride ourselves on offering a comprehensive, People First benefits package to promote health and wellness, enhance work/life balance and ensure long-term stability for our employees and their families.
- Hybrid work arrangements with a combination of working in the dog-friendly Vancouver Studio and remotely
- Competitive pay
- An excellent employer paid Extended Health & Dental Benefit, Life, and AD&D
- Referral bonus program
- Company’s perks/discounts (i.e Goodlife, perkopolis etc.)
- You will be exposed to an open, continuous-learning environment where professional development and career progression is encouraged
- You will work within a dynamic, driven, high-achieving, close-knit, and fun-loving team
- And lots of fun studio events
If this is a role you are interested in, we’d love to hear from you. Click HERE to submit your resume and portfolio.
CHIL Interior Design is the Hospitality Interior Design studio of B+H Architects. CHIL is a boutique studio with a specialization and focus on hotels and multi-family residential design. We are one studio within B+H – a global, award-winning, full-service design firm recognized for excellence in sustainable design, technical expertise and the delivery of complex, large-scale projects. A legacy of over 60 years of design innovation and problem solving has endowed B+H with a depth of knowledge, skill and agility that benefits each client we serve, wherever they are in the world.
With dedicated CHIL Interior Design studios in Vancouver, Hong Kong and Toronto we bid and work on hospitality projects around the world. With B+H studios, we are represented in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Seattle, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City and Dubai.
We believe in the power of design to elevate people’s lives and we are committed to doing everything necessary to deliver environments that outperform our clients’ expectations, now and in the future.
Our Interiors Practice
With a history of over 45 years in hospitality design and more than 10 years as an important studio of the B+H practice, CHIL Interior Design has been providing high-quality design for our varied and prestigious clients.
A thriving standalone business with projects independent and distinct from our architectural practice, CHIL has been established with 3 global hospitality interior design studios in Vancouver, Toronto and Hong Kong, where we lead the creative aspects of all hospitality interior design. We develop unparalleled luxury hospitality and restaurant spaces for brands including Accor, Shangri-La, Fairmont, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts. CHIL also creates leading edge residential design with projects built and in development in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, and Edmonton, as well as in Seattle, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
CHIL Interior Design, as a specialty service offering within B+H, focuses on creating unparalleled hospitality experiences. CHIL lends the experienced hand of a highly specialized studio to B+H’s global interior design team. Partnership and respect across our global teams allows CHIL to deliver the best of both worlds: the tailored, collaborative approach of a specialized hospitality interior design studio with the resources and expertise of full-service architecture and design firm.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at B+H. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds. B+H Architects is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employee. If this is a role you are interested in, we’d love to hear from you.