B+H is a global, award-winning, full-service design firm recognized for excellence in design, sustainability, technical expertise, and the delivery of complex, large-scale projects. A legacy of over 60 years of design innovation and problem-solving has endowed us with a depth of knowledge, skill, and agility that benefits each client we serve, wherever they are in the world.
Working from studios in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Seattle, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, and Dubai, we are creating the framework around which people live their lives. We believe in the power of design to elevate our lives and are committed to delivering high-performance and sustainable communities, buildings, and environments that exceed client expectations, contribute to human well-being and enhance the health of our planet.
Our Interiors Practice
First and foremost, we are a Design excellence-driven studio. We have envisioned, created, and delivered world-class Interiors for our world-class clients for over 40 years. A thriving Interior Design practice within the larger interdisciplinary B+H family, our projects are independent and distinct from our architectural practice with a global presence established through 8 regional studios in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Seattle, Shanghai, Singapore, Beijing, and Hong Kong.
Ours is a deeply collaborative approach within a design-led culture where the best ideas win. Our teams envision stories that we manifest into environments by seamlessly encouraging input from our clients throughout all stages of the project.
Our clients range from mid-size to large businesses in the corporate workplace, with a recent focus on working with legal, energy, and tech-sector clients. Healthcare, education, and sports sectors are also part of our integrated interiors practice. Our branded CHIL Interior Design group provides unparalleled luxury hospitality and restaurant spaces for brands including Shangri-La, Hilton, Fairmont, Starwood, Marriott Hotels, and Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.
Our CHIL Vancouver Team is looking for a highly motivated team member to join our Interiors Practice focusing on corporate workspace design. We are looking for a strong team player able to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment, interested in working within a diverse, multi-disciplinary, multi-sector, global reaching firm.
You are an engaged, self-actualizing intermediate Interior Designer, a very strong creative and possess a genuine passion for design. You have 5 to 7 years of experience working on high-end projects within a collaborative team structure, while fully self-reliant in executing the tasks assigned efficiently and creatively. You will be involved in every part of the design, from preliminary vision, through concept development to project documentation and execution.
Specific Position Responsibilities
- Ensure the work aligns with the design excellence standards set by the studio design.
- Have a very strong creative set of skills to produce compelling, informative proposals and presentations through a good knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Accompany senior colleagues to client meetings, being an effective presenter and representative.
- Meet with clients to analyze their goals, needs, and resources.
- Provide space planning that accurately reflects the Program, functional requirements, and design considerations of the project, and meets all building code requirements.
- Lead development of 2 and 3D design concepts, with emphasis on high-quality renderings.
- Research, gather, recommend and present to the team appropriate finishes and furnishings that capture the functional, aesthetic, environmental, and budgetary requirements of the project, understanding how texture, light, colour, and other factors interact to create an environment.
- Help prepare documentation for the selection, specification, procurement, and installation of furnishings and equipment, including detailed layout drawings and schedules.
- Produce Design Development & Contract Documents (plans, elevations, sections, and schedules) in both REVIT and AutoCAD.
- Produce and manage projects and schedules, with a Project Manager as needed, according to project size.
- Understand the requirements of the plans, life safety issues, building codes, and other technical aspects; knowledgeable in the areas of design, drawing and details, finishes and building materials, specifications, codes, technical drawing, contract administration, and business practices.
- Assist with permit tender applications as required.
- Complete construction administration from tender through project closeout with assistance from CA staff as required.
- Mentor and train intern designers.
- Other duties as required.
- A degree or diploma from a CIDA accredited Interior Design program.
- 5+ years experience working with a recognized Interior Design or Architectural firm.
- A membership with ARIDO (or other relevant regulatory body).
- Attained your NCIDQ certification.
- Attained, or are working towards attaining your LEED Green Associate certification.
- Sound knowledge of AutoCAD, REVIT, Windows (Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint), Sketch-up, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
- A solid portfolio of diverse creative, design-driven projects with emphasis in Workplace, Hospitality, and/or Healthcare and Retail design.
- A proven background of involvement with the Interior Design industry, through volunteer work, ARIDO or IDC events or committees.
- Technically savvy, able to learn and master new programs and apps.
- Highly Proficient with REVIT, both as a planning and modeling (3D) tool.
- Self-directed, able to work independently, and know when to reach out for guidance and support.
- Ready to receive and welcome coaching from supervisors and colleagues, assimilate feedback and learn quickly from it.
- Armed with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Positive attitude, passion, and patience.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for the job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Ready To Apply?
Submit your resume through our website by clicking the Apply button.
For more information, please visit www.bharchitects.com
B+H is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and B+H’s Accommodation Policy, accommodations are available upon request for candidates throughout the selection process.