B+H Architects is a global, award-winning firm with a 60+ year legacy of building creative solutions for clients through the delivery of architecture, interior design, landscape, planning, strategy, and other consulting services.
Within our studios in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Seattle, Los Angeles, Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore & Ho Chi Minh City, we are creating the framework around which people live their lives. We believe in the power of design to transform spaces, communities, and economies. Our clients’ visions are realized through customized designs that exceed their business goals and inspire the people that live, work, heal, play, and learn within them. Every challenge is an opportunity for us to learn, so we never lose sight of the people we’re designing for – regardless of the type of development, scale, scope, or geography involved.
A member of the Surbana Jurong Group, B+H delivers strategic consulting and high-value design solutions that shape spaces, communities and economies. Our more than 450 team members are committed to delivering bold and inspiring design solutions that are driven by honed insight, active listening, fearless entrepreneurialism, and a collaborative fusion of perspectives. Design performance achieved through constant innovation, accountability, hands-on service, cultivating talent, and being a champion for diversity in all its forms – these are the things we value.
The Design Director will be a key member of the Shanghai Architecture team and responsible for the overall delivery of design for medium to large scale projects and leading, mentoring and developing high performing design teams. This role is positioned for growth and advancement and is a unique opportunity for someone to come in and make their mark, with a network of global resources to support success. Collaborating with designers in B+H Shanghai studios, the Design Director develops and explores conceptual and schematic designs for a range of commercial, mixed-use and institutional projects.
The Design Director is accountable for the quality and execution of B+H designs. This role reports to the Managing Principal, Shanghai Studio and Principal in Architecture Department.
Specific Position Responsibilities
Project Delivery/Leadership Responsibilities
- Perform hands-on role of Project Architect and Design Architect on assigned projects
- Act as spokeperson to promote the pursuit of design excellence inside and outside of the firm
- Garner recognition for the firm through awards and publications
- Ensure timely delivery of projects that are professionally executed within established budgets
- Management, mentoring and leadership of the technical and design staff, including design and technical direction, project management and support of other offices as required
- Ensure constructive leadership and mentoring of design staff and effective collaboration with other offices and divisions
- Liaison and partner with global B+H Design directors and design teams to ensure continued focus on delivering design excellence in all project work
- Peer review and collaboration on design projects in other B+H studios
- Ensure projects are completed with high levels of technical competency. Ensure quality assurance mandates and processes occur. Review and be accountable for design and contract documentation
- Lead teams to pursue highest level of design excellence throughout the delivery of projects
- Promote an environment that fosters innovation
BD/Client Relationships Responsibilities
- Increase client service, retention of current clientele, and increasing client base
- Pro-actively externally promotes the services of B+H
- Participates in proposal development including determining fee and staffing levels, sub-consultancy agreements
- Actively implements business development strategy as part of the B+H team
- Licensed Architect
- Bachelor in Architecture or above
- 15 to 20 years of architectural experience with a portfolio demonstrating built work with a significant authorship role
- International experience is preferred; Working experience in Asia is a must
- Strong conceptual design skills in exploring innovative approaches in an interdisciplinary environment
- High level of technical experience to initiate and develop conceptual, schematic and design development framework for building systems, cores, site plan, etc.
- Ability to discuss, develop and communicate ideas with verbal and graphic clarity
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, AutoCAD (2D and 3D), Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator, AutoDesk VIZ, Rhinoceros, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash, 3DStudio, V-ray render and Revit
- Solid understanding of all phases of a project: competing for the commission, designing, managing, completing the contract document, and seeing it through to completion
- Track record of securing new business and retaining existing clients
- Experience with both small and large, complex projects
- Strong leadership role and network within the design community
- Confidence in presentation skills and experience presenting ideas to clients and in public forums
For more information about our firm please visit www.bharchitects.com
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your resume and portfolio to AsiaResumes@bharchitects.com , with “Design Director, Architecture” in the subject line.