The Joyce Centre for Partnership and Innovation (JCPI) at Mohawk College opened its doors to students in the fall of 2018 and has since become the first institutional building to be certified for both Design and Performance categories under the Canada Green Building Council’s (CaGBC) Zero Carbon Building Program. A joint venture by mcCallumSather and B+H Architects, the 96,000 sq ft facility is a catalyst for change in the region, positioning Mohawk College as a knowledge centre for carbon-neutral technologies and operations.
Supporting the architecture, outdoor spaces at the JCPI are extensions of the centre’s indoor environment and contribute to an inviting and connected educational campus. Key sustainable design elements for this campus plan include:
- Preservation of existing trees on site
- On-site storm water management
- Reduction of urban heat island effect
- Minimized water consumption
- Improvement of plant survival and natural plant diversity
- Promotion of social sustainability through non-car use